Annual Gynecology Exam in Atlanta, GA
Atlanta Women’s Obstetrics & Gynecology has been providing the highest quality of care to women in Atlanta, GA for over 35 years. Our board-certified OBGYNs are highly experienced in performing routine and annual well-woman exams. Call (404) 352-3616 to schedule an appointment in Atlanta, GA today!
How should I prepare for my exam?
The most important thing to do before your gynecological exam is prepare. Women should be prepared to discuss their family medical history and be ready for questions about their menstrual cycle. Some of the most commonly asked questions your provider may ask include:
- When was your last period?
- How long does your period typically last?
- What age did you start your period?
- Are you sexually active?
Be sure to think about any questions or concerns you may have. Before your appointment, refrain from sexual intercourse for 24 hours, and avoid using a tampon right before your exam.
What should I expect for my annual exam?
The pelvic exam only lasts a few minutes and the exam itself doesn’t hurt. Most physicians will explain the process before beginning the exam, asking questions throughout the process is encouraged. The pelvic exam consists of the following steps:
- Your gynecologist will typically begin the annual exam with a breast exam to check for lumps that may be a sign of cancer.
- Then you obgyn will check the external genital area for irritations, cysts or other problems.
- Next, the physician will insert a speculum, which is an instrument that is used to examine the cervix and vaginal walls. During this time, the doctor will also conduct a pap test to check for cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- The last step in the physical exam is for the physician to do a pelvic exam by checking the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries by inserting gloved fingers into the vagina and pressing on the abdomen.
Not only does the annual exam ensure that you maintain good gynecological health, but it is also an opportunity for you to catch health problems in the early stages.
What else is covered?
Feel free to bring up any questions or concerns you have with your gynecologist, including:
- Sexual health
- STD Testing
- Heavy Menstrual Periods
- Menopause management
- Pre-Conception Counseling
Schedule an Appointment
If it’s time to schedule your annual exam, please contact our office at (404) 352-3616. We look forward to hearing from you!