Colposcopy Procedure in Atlanta, GA
The purpose of a Colposcopy is to examine the cervix for indications of cervical cancer. In most cases, this procedure is performed on women whose pap test has returned abnormal results. Atlanta Women’s Obstetrics & Gynecology has been providing the highest quality of care to women in Atlanta, GA for over 35 years. Our board-certified OBGYNs are highly trained in performing this colposcopy. Call (404) 352-3616 to schedule an appointment at our office in Midtown Atlanta today!
How is a Colposcopy Performed?
Your OBGYN doctor in Atlanta will use an imaging device, called a colposcope, to look for irregular cervical tissue. A cervix with potentially cancerous tissue may have white patches, warts, polyps or swelling. In these instances, a sample will be taken and tested.
A healthy cervix will appear pink and smooth. If everything looks normal, additional tests may be needed to determine the cause of the irregular pap results.
Preparing for a Colposcopy
There is little preparation needed for a Colposcopy. However, before having this test performed, it is highly recommended that you:
- Abstain from sex 24 to 48 hours before the procedure.
- Do not insert any products, such as tampons, into your vagina.
- Ensure the procedure date does not fall during your period.
Does a Colposcopy Hurt?
Some discomfort may be felt when a mild solution is used to clean and dry the cervix, but the Colposcopy should not hurt since the colposcope does not touch you. If a sample is needed, you may feel a slight pinching feeling as tissue is collected.
After the Procedure
For those who did not have a sample taken:
- No restrictions will be placed on your activity.
- Light bleeding or spotting may occur for a day or two.
For those who did have a sample taken:
- Avoid intercourse or using tampons for at least a week.
- Vaginal pain or discomfort may last a few days.
- Light bleeding may be present for a few days.
- You may notice dark vaginal discharge immediately following the Colposcopy.
Schedule Your Colposcopy in Atlanta Today
If your pap test has returned abnormal results or if you are looking to put your mind at ease, schedule an appointment for a colposcopy today with Atlanta Women’s Obstetrics & Gynecology.