Pediatricians are medical doctors who specialize in the care of children.
Pediatricians can treat children who have any type of problem, or they may specialize in specific areas, such as:
- Adolescent medicine (conditions and diseases common to teenagers).
- Cardiology (diseases and conditions of the heart and blood vessels).
- Developmental disorders (behavior, communication, and mental disorders in children).
- Endocrinology (diseases of the endocrine glands, which regulate hormones).
- Gastroenterology (diseases of the digestive system).
- Infectious disease (complex infections).
- Nephrology (diseases of the kidney and urinary system).
- Oncology (cancer).
Pediatricians can be board-certified through the Board of Pediatrics, which is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
Current as of: March 1, 2023
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:Anne C. Poinier MD - Internal Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine & E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine